
We got on our flight just fine from Cancun to Mexico City. Since I'm pregnant, I had to fill out a paper every time I got on a flight stating that I understand that there are risks to flying while pregnant. In Mexico City, I went up to the lady and she checked my passport, tore my ticket, and sent me over to the counter to fill our the paper. I was going to meet Peter on the plane but he was just a couple people behind me so I decided to wait. They asked him for his immigration form and he couldn't find it. Turns out, I didn't have mine either, but the lady didn't ask for mine. They sent us both to the immigration desk at the end of the terminal to fill out another one. When we got to the immigration desk, the guy didn't speak any English and sent us to another immigration office (all he had to do was give us one form to fill out!!!). We had to have permission from the Federal Police to bypass security to go out to the immigration desk where the guy tried to go really fast and get us everything we needed. When we tried to go back in, we were told to go through security again! By this point, I was in tears because I knew we would miss our plane home.
In order to go through security, I needed a boarding pass. The one the lady had ripped and taken at the gate. They were going to make me go get another boarding pass but I was able to pull one up on my phone so they used that one. By the time we got to the gate, the plane was gone, I was crying, and we were told that the next flight would be at 5:00 the next day...24 hours later!
When we got to the ticket counter, she had found a flight at 10 the next morning which meant we were stuck in Mexico City overnight. We got a hotel and just had to wait until morning to get home. It was awful. I was so sad and missing Weston so much. Mexico City is a scary place and not somewhere I wanted to be when I should have been home with my baby.
The next day, we were told that our terminal to the airport was not open. On the news, we saw tons of protesters blocking the terminal to the airport...the terminal we had to go to. The driver took us to the other terminal and we took a tram to terminal 2 but on the way, we saw hundreds if not thousands of police cars and buses lining the streets while police marched along the streets wearing helmets, guns, and big shields. It was crazy. Apparently, there have been multiple protests from teachers about education reform in the last couple of months.


Needless to say, we were so happy to finally get home and see our little guy. It was a fun trip, but there is something about being home that makes my heart full.

No comments:
Post a Comment