After a long journey,
he finally arrived! On Wednesday April 11, I had a doctor's appointment
to check my progress. I was 39 weeks and 2 days along and NOTHING was
happening. In fact, my cervix was so far back that labor was nowhere in
sight. I had the option of being induced the next morning or waiting
until next week. Well, we had salesmen coming in on Tuesday the 17th so
waiting would mean Peter would have to be taking care of them as well as
taking care of us at the same time. I really didn't want to wait
another week so I decided to get induced the next morning. Lots of
people told me not to get induced because it would take forever and be
more painful but I knew that it would be the best thing for me. It's
weird how you just know things like that. Of course, I was nervous but
we decided to move forward. My doctor called the hospital, and they
wanted me to go to the hospital that night at 8:00! So, we went home,
cleaned up some, and got ready to go. I was really nervous and a little
weepy so when we went to my parents house to drop off Winston, Peter and
my dad gave me a blessing. In the blessing, they said to treasure the
next few days so I decided to take it all in. We arrived at the hospital
around 8 and they showed me into the L&D room.
Around 9, they gave me cytotec to help dilate my cervix. Then, we just waited. My parents came up to visit for a little bit then went home so I could get some sleep. Around 1, they came to check me again and NOTHING happened. I wasn't dilated at all. So, they gave me another dose and said they would come in again in 4 hours. Well, about 15 minutes after they gave me the second dose, my water broke on its own! Then, they started me on pitocin which wasn't near as bad as everybody made it sound. It was still pretty painful when they checked me and since my water had already broken, they decided to give me the epidural then. My doctor came in around 7:30 to check me and I was dilated to a 4! Yay! She told me that they usually plan on about an hour for each cm left which would put me about ready around 1:30ish. I was already numb so I just slept and tried to rest. Around 9:45 my back was really hurting so I called the nurse in because I thought my epidural wasn't really working. She checked my cervix and said, "OH! I can't feel any cervix at all." I was like, oh great, it went back up and I'll have to wait forever. I asked her what that meant and she was like, "Well, it's time to push!" my only response was, "Are you freakin' A kidding me? I was supposed to have another 3-4 hours!" She called me doctor and she said to have a few practice pushed then start really pushing around 10:30. I was in a haze but we did a few practice pushes. The nurse wasked me if I wanted the mirror and I said "heck no". She said if I wasn't pushing properly, she would bring out the mirror so I could see what kind of pushing was actually moving things along. Well, she ended up getting the mirror which actually helped a lot. An hour later, my doctor showed up and I was still pushing. It felt like it was taking forever but they said he was moving down more and more. I wasn't yelling or anything, I was just in the zone during the whole thing. The only thing that really pissed me off was the stupid blood pressure cuff that kept going off every 15 minutes. After an hour and 15 minutes of pushing, my doctor offered to use the vacuum. By this time, I had thrown up twice during pushing and was really worn out. I was getting pretty tired and my pushes weren't as good at this point so I decided to use it. 15 minutes later, on 4/12/12 at 12:01 pm, my son was born. It was neat to have the mirror there so I could see him come into this world. It was such a neat/surreal experience.
I just could not honestly believe that all the waiting was finally over. We have waited almost 4 years for that moment. He was a whopping 8 lb 4 oz and 20.5 inches long! My doctor said I
could have pushed him out but since he was so big it would have taken
another hour. Apparently I was bleeding quite a bit and my doctor thought I had a cervical tear so they took him to get him taken care of while she checked me out. They had the little station in the room to my left where they checked him out so I was just staring at him while they were all worried about me. I didn't realize I was bleeding that much until later.
It turns out, I didn't have a cervical tear and was fine, but I had been pretty anemic during my entire pregnancy and since I lost so much blood, I was feeling really sick so they kept me in L&D for longer than normal to monitor me. My family came back to see little Weston and even my grandparents from Oklahoma came. I had to rest and eat for a few hours because all the nurses said I was green and I was feeling really sick.After a couple doses of Zofran and some food, I was finally cleared to go to postpartum where the whole family could come and hang out with us.
The next couple of days were a blur. Sleeping, eating, and cuddling little Weston were all that we did. My aunt and cousin came to see him, but I was still feeling icky so Peter took him to the nursery to show him off. Hopefully everybody can actually meet him soon!
We finally went home Saturday afternoon to start our journey together as a family of 3.
Ever since Weston has come into our lives, we feel a little more complete. He is the love of our lives. I can just stare at his cute face all day and I realize that I feel something for him that I just cannot describe. We have waited so long for him and we feel so lucky to have his sweet little spirit in our lives and he was more than worth the wait.
6 comments:
Yeah!! I loved reading the birth story! So happy for you guys. Hope to be able to meet him one day! Miss you guys.
We just love you guys! So happy he is finally here ;)
Awww! I love this story!! Congrats y'all! So happy for you guys. He was definitely worth the wait! He's a keeper for sure!
So happy to read the story!!! I've thought about calling you a couple times but I remember how exhausted and crazy it I was at first and talking to people on the phone was the LASSST thing I cared to do...hope you two are having fun figuring out what the heck you're doing! Post more pics!!! Congrats!
Thanks for sharing your birth story Eli!! Congrats...enjoy that sweet boy! It goes by so fast!
Oh I am soooo happy for you guys!! It really is such an awesome, indescribable feeling to have your baby in your arms finally! Glad it went well and he is healthy!! Love you guys! Enjoy your new roles as parents!! You'll be great at it!
Post a Comment