After everybody left, I made the comment that tonight was the first night that I had nothing to do. Peter had plans to play basketball and the presents were wrapped, so my plans were to paint my nails and catch up on some real housewives of Beverly Hills. Peter had gone upstairs to use the bathroom and change and came downstairs to put his shoes on. I heard dripping and when he ran back upstairs, he found out that the toilet had kept running and flooded the entire bathroom and part of our room. So much for a relaxing night to myself. We used every single towel we owned to try and soak up the water, but it wasn't enough. Peter grabbed his pile of workout shirts and threw it on the water in the used those to clean up the rest. I put bowls under the two leaks downstairs which were in the playroom and over the bottom stair leading into the kitchen.
When we cleaned all that we could, Peter went to go get a couple of fans to try and dry up the carpet. He had to go to four stores to finally find one, of course.
Tomorrow is Christmas eve and we are supposed to be going up to my parents house but we will be on the phone with home insurance and hopefully a restoration company to get everything cleaned up.
I am usually a stress case in situations like this, but I remained unusually calm. Clean the water came to me of all the blessings that I have. We have a beautiful house which is why it is so sad when something like this can ruin it. We have great friends, some of whom came over tonight right before this fiasco started. We are all healthy minus a couple runny noses. We have home insurance. When we found the mess, I wasn't by myself, that would have made it much worse. I have a sweet husband who remains calm and collected in stressful situations like this one. Tonight I am especially grateful for a healthy family and homeowners insurance. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment