Thursday, July 23, 2009

Soapbox

Warning: I have been taking a Women's Studies class where all we talk about is oppression and I leave everyday just wanting to vent. Since Peter is "working", I have to do it here (just kidding, I know he works very hard). Some of this may offend some of you, but you are not required to read it. Here are a few things that really peeve me
1-Women who blame men for being oppressed. If you want equal pay, don't settle for less. Many women want to be treated "equal" to men, but we still want a man to open our door and lift heavy boxes for us.
1.5-If you really are being treated unfairly, get out! Don't allow yourself to be treated like that. If you don't stick up for yourself, why would anybody else stick up for you?
2-Why can we blame white men for all the wrong that happens to us (unfair pay, unfair opportunities, etc) but if a white man says anything, he is accused of being sexist or racist.
3-In class today, we were talking about being overweight and how overweight people are treated poorly. I would like to say that I do not think anybody should be treated poorly period. I also understand that genetics has a small part to do with a small percentage of Americans' weight problems. Yet, the fact remains that overweight people do have a greater chance of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure etc. Therefore, I will teach my children and those around me that it is important to eat right and be physically active. Also, you can't change people around you. The solution: loose weight. Be healthy. This does not mean everybody needs to be a size 2. It does mean that we (as Americans) could eat an apple instead of fries or a salad instead of a burger. Somebody brought up Queen Latifah in class today and how they were "so sad that she is doing Jenny Craig now and changing how she looks, she is already beautiful". ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????? We are sad that somebody is changing their life for the better? We are sad that this change could extend her life? We are sad that she could get rid of ailments that come with being overweight? NO, we are sad because we have no excuse. Time, money, and lack of education are no excuse. Time: instead of watching tv, go on a walk. Money: an orange costs less than fries. Education: welcome to the 21st century, we have the internet. So, instead of complaining, do something productive to change your life.

On a much lighter note, my camera cord came in! I have TONS of homework to do this weekend, but I will try to see when I can upload some pictures.

4 comments:

Turok said...

haha i love it....say it girl!! say it out loud and proud!! I agree with everything you say....thanks for the reminder and the kick in the butt!

Steve and Stephanie said...

AMEN SISTUH!!!!!! And 1.5? Lol I laughed and called you a dork in my little apartment here, just so you know. Um I agree, why should women sit around and complain about everything they're upset about? Get up off your butt and change your environment or circumstances. If I don't like the people around me and their thought processes, I get out. That's what intelligent and powerful people do. BOO-YEAH. And I am TIRED of overweight people defending their weight and arguing when told they need to lose weight. I see patient after patient who is hospitalized every month because they refuse to change their lifestyle. Then they get hospitalized, demand free healthcare that medicaid is paying for, go home, don't change a thing, and get admitted again within a month or two. Yes, there are those that do make amazing changes and become healthier and it is refreshing and awesome to witness those changes, but those really are rare. Um k love you bye

Becky Jorgensen said...

Amen!!! haha I loved it all... it was all so true!! I love the way think woman!!

Toni Dee! said...

he he! So glad that I'm not the only one venting on my blog - and I agree 100%. I get pretty darn sick of feminists that have forgotten what it means to be a woman. Also - saw you briefly at church today and I love your haircut!