Saturday, January 30, 2010

The joy of owning a home


So Peter and I love having a house. We love knowing we are somewhere permanent, we love having a yard, and we love having room to grow into. When we bought our house, there wasn't too much work to do. I did paint the entire house, but nothing else had to be done. We don't like the carpet and plan on changing it to laminate wood flooring. In order to lower our internet/cable bill, we decided to switch to Direct TV.
Awesome #1: When the guy came out here, he had to add another wire and get into our attic. One of the features about the house that we really loved when we bought it was the completely boarded up attic. We can walk all over the attic which is perfect for storage. The cable guy told us that we have tons of outlets that are not hooked up to our power line. This means that they could hook up to the main power line for the neighborhood but would not be charged to our house. Long story short, our house is a perfect house to grow pot! He said they probably had the electricity lines hooked up to the street and they probably dried the weed in the attic. Pretty awesome.
Awesome #2: After Christmas, I put the decorations in our second bedroom (I didn't put them in the attic yet because the same bins shared room with the Valentines decorations). When I went in there this afternoon to take out all the pink and red hearts, I took one step and my socks were soaked. Every time I stepped, it was squishy. So, Peter and I cleaned out the room and pulled up the carpet. It was so soaked that we could literally ring out the water from the carpet foam. Gross. Luckily, Peter is very mild-tempered and we just pulled out all the carpet and put it in the garage until we can make it to the dump. After having our home warranty send out a plumber, apparently our toilet overflowed! The bathroom was not wet and there was no indication that it happened but he said the slightest incline could send the water into the next bedroom. The toilet has run constantly since we bought the house and the guy fixed the part. No problems since, but now we need new carpet.

It was a little frustrating but we just laughed and said that something had to happen at some point. We were lucky it wasn't too big of a deal. And I guess I get to get new carpet in the bedroom!

1 comment: