Thursday, February 9, 2012

Childbirth Class #1

Well, we have been busy little bees lately. This week, Peter had a follow up appointment because of his hernia surgery, we interviewed two pediatricians, I finally saw a chiropractor (twice), I had an OB appointment, and we went to our first childbirth class! We practically lived in doctors offices this week!
Peter had hernia surgery almost 3 weeks ago. He was really sore and uncomfortable the first week and a half but started getting better pretty quickly. His stomach is still bruised where the incisions were made but he's already playing basketball and going to the gym again just like normal. It was a little rough with both of us being out of commission but I'm just glad it's taken care of and he's 100% again.
We interviewed two pediatricians this week to see if we could find a doctor that would be a good fit for us and little Weston. We decided on Dr. Reyes. We both felt so comfortable with him. We had lots of questions like what his stance was on vaccinations, antibiotics, breastfeeding, office policy, etc. The other doctor we interviewed had a great office and seemed to be a great doctor, but we both just got a better feeling with Dr. Reyes. Maybe our parental instincts are kicking in?!
My back has been hurting quite a bit lately and I have been thinking about going to a chiropractor. After doing a bunch of research and getting a recommendation from my OB, I finally went to go see Dr. Wilson. His office is really far from here, but I'm so glad that I went. He said that I had popped a couple of ribs out which is why I was getting such strong pain on my right side. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, but he said it was pretty common in pregnant women. He also said that my hips and neck were all jacked up. I'll hopefully be going back on a regular basis to keep everything in line. He gave me a couple samples of this stuff that is basically is like Icy Hot. My back was really sore last night so I had Peter put it on one side of my back that had been sore. It was the first night in months that I actually slept through the night! I'm sure it was a combination of getting adjusted and the cream, but I'm putting that stuff on every night from now on. I seriously still can't believe it!
Tonight was our first childbirth class! We got a bunch of good information. Some stuff we knew but we did learn a lot. The best part was the relaxation techniques. They had these mats that we laid on on the floor and practiced different breathing techniques. It was really relaxing and Peter and I just had a good time spending time together. And they had a fruit tray, a veggie tray, drinks, and pasta with breadsticks! Yum-o. There are 2 more classes in the next couple weeks so we'll see what they have in store for us.
This week, I have learned a little more about myself. I realized that I like to make decisions based on information and on a feeling that I get. Before going to interview pediatricians, I spent hours looking up questions to ask, vaccination information, and getting recommendations from other moms/doctors about which pediatricians are the best. Before making the decision to see a chiropractor, I did the same thing. I might be a little crazy about it, but I really believe that it is important to get all the information then decide what will be the best choice for me and my family.
Here's us tonight going to our class:


On another note, here's a Superbowl commercial that made me laugh out loud:

1 comment:

Cano Family said...

Yay for childbirth class! we loved ours too, lots of good info! and i LOVE that commercial too :)