On Thursday night we started to get sleet and below freezing temperatures. We don't normally have weather this cold in Dallas so it was kind of a big deal. Peter has been out of town this entire week but luckily my brother Bo works close by and he didn't want to drive home that night so he just came to my house for the night. We got so much ice that we couldn't leave the house and around 2 AM I heard the power go out. Luckily I was able to get ahold Peter and I decided to turn on the gas fireplace and put extra blankets on Weston so that we could sleep through the night. Weston did pretty good but he woke up around 530 and I brought him into bed with me so that we could both be a little warmer. The fireplace heats up the living room and the playroom so we just hung out in the playroom all morning and shut the doors. We have a gas stove so we were still able to make some breakfast and with the doors closed we were actually pretty comfortable in the playroom. The temperature got below 60° in the house and the power was not supposed to come on until 8 o'clock at night. Luckily, it turned on right around noon so we were only out of electricity for 10 hours and it didn't take too long to to heat the house so we were comfortable but still couldn't get out. The road in front of our house was like an ice skating rink with about an inch and a half of ice. To some people that may not seem like much but you don't have the type of equipment here to de-ice the roads. Vicky and Alicia were able to get out of their house so they came over late Friday afternoon and we made some dinner, some Christmas cookies, and decorated my Christmas tree. It was nice to have some company because Bo and I have been getting pretty bored around here. Everybody spent the night Friday night and our powers stayed on so we were nice and cozy. Ricky and Elisha had to leave this morning and Bo and I tried to de-ice the driveway so we could pick up Peter at the airport but we didn't make much progress. We wouldn't be able to get out of the driveway without running into our neighbors fence so we really are stuck inside of the house.
Peter's flight was delayed a few hours and even after he finally landed here, he was stuck in the plane for over two hours before he could even get off! Luckily, he is finally home safe and sound.
The thing that I want to remember throughout this whole experience is how many people have been so thoughtful and helping us out. I have had multiple calls, text messages, Facebook messages from always people in my ward who have offered to pick me up or pick Peter up from the airport or just help us out knowing that I am pregnant and by myself with a toddler. It makes me emotional just thinking about the thoughtfulness and selflessness of so many people around me and I really feel blessed to be where I am and have so many examples of Christ like service. Although I haven't really needed anybody to come pick us up I have felt much better and actually quite peaceful knowing that there are people that I can call that would be able to help me out.
Both of my brothers have really been great and helping me. I'm 37 weeks now which is full-term so all the extra help has really been appreciated. I can't wait until this ice melts hopefully tomorrow so we can get out for a little bit and start living life again!
All that is ice, not snow so it is almost impossible to get anywhere. Trees have fallen down and that there have already been to casualties due to this weather. Again, I just feel grateful that we have been able to cook and have had our electricity for most of the time and that there are people around me that really love and support me. I am one blessed girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment